Wednesday 9 November 2011

Google Translate - an inevitable part of modern langauge learning?

I read an interesting thread on the TES website the other day about how teachers should get around pupils using Google Translate for their homework. Many people were suggesting that the way forward was a complete ban on any form of online translator, others openly embracing the use of these online tools.

In the past, I too have been irritated by the pupils who have clearly typed their whole paragraph into the translation engine, clicked a button, and then copied the end result, or even worse, just copied and pasted it into a document. But I think I am beginning to change my mind. Language learning is changing. When I was doing my degree, I did have one of those ridiculously large dictionaries, and I did use it too, but more often than not, I would resort to online dictionaries to help me to complete my work.

Granted, the difference between an online translation engine and an online dictionary is quite big, especially if you are a KS3/4 pupil with limited grammatical knowledge of a language. Online translators are so much better than they used to be, and are getting better all the time, and often there is little 'tweeking' to be done, whereas online dictionaries rely on users own knowledge of grammar and context.

We have recently invested in a set of dictionary Apps for our iPods. Far cheaper than buying a class set of dictionaries (£3.99, rather than £300!!!) and far better suited to a modern way of language learning and teaching.

These days, rather than 'banning' translation engines, I advise pupils that if they are to use them, they are to use them with caution. They may for example, type in single short sentences or phrases (not whole texts), and they should never write down or use anything that they cannot fully explain when later questionned. Anything that they do get from the translator should be double checked either with a dictionary or the work from their book. And instead, I show them online dictionaries and how to use them. With more able pupils I have started using Google translate myself to show common errors and ask the pupils to correct them as well.

I have only been using these methods for a short while, but so far the seem to be having the desired effect :)

Maybe these online translators aren't so awful after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment